Hello, I’m Fran! I love making things. Always have. Especially tiny things and little people, and making up stories about them. I also love doing funny voices and accents. A lot.
After spending 11 years being a Primary School teacher in various different roles, I wanted a big change! Now I’m a puppeteer, puppet maker and co – founder of the award – winning puppetry and performance company Herringbone Arts which specialise in creating magical work for children and families. I’m also happy and proud to be a part of the Go Kid Music team!
Over the last couple of years puppet and arts – related things have been keeping me busy!! My happy place is my studio in New England House, Brighton where I make my puppets and props and experiment with shadows and scenery….
I’ve been making and performing site – specific and promenade work at Theatre Royal Brighton, Spiegeltent, written and performed my own puppet- based sketch for an adult audience at Brighton’s sell – out puppet cabaret night ‘Punched’ performed at a few festivals, won an award and lots and lots of other puppet – based shenanigans. I also met two very creative people- Al Start and Nicola Bloom.
Rehearsing and creating ‘The Three Excellent Little Pigs’ (which sold out The Old Market four times over during Brighton Festival Fringe 2015!) was a brilliant experience and definitely a highlight of my year. I love this show, I love the music and most importantly I love collaborating with the GoKidMusic team!
Ten amazing facts about me:
- The biggest puppet I ever used was for Greenpeace where I was part of a team which walked a polar- bear puppet the size of a double decker bus through the streets of London to protest against Arctic drilling.
- I have lots of photos of TERRIBLE cakes I’ve made.
- I’m constantly thinking of little characters and stories that I could make.
- I can do the John Barnes rap from New Order’s ‘classic’ song from 1990 ‘World in Motion’ – though I don’t follow football in any way.
- I’m terrible at sport, but I don’t mind!
- When I was a child I spent a LOT of time reading, drawing and making things.
- As a teenager, I was in a few bands. My parents used to let us have band practice in my bedroom, with a full drum kit and everything!!!!
- Al and Nicola at Go Kid Music are great at getting me to sing and play the ukulele.
- My favourite animal is an Orca.
- My all time favourite movie is the ‘80’s puppet and David Bowie – fest ‘Labyrinth’. Actually I quite fancy watching it right now…!